Despite the fact that people have generally become more concerned about their health and their awareness regarding different health problems has increased, depression is a medical condition that is still considered by many people as something that is ‘all in the mind’. There are a lot of people who manage to continue their regular life despite having depressive symptoms, such as feeling down or hopeless, loss of interest, excess appetite or lack of appetite, a constant feeling of fatigue and tiredness and many others. A majority of the people do not get treatment for such symptoms either because they do not consider them as health problems or because they are anxious of going to a psychologist or a psychiatrist because of the social stigma attached to the idea. However, this can further complicate the situation. Depression, if goes unidentified and is not treated properly, could be life threatening as patients with severe depression develop suicidal tendencies, feelings of wanting to die and can even develop mental issues.
An Alternative Approach
For people who do not want to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist for whatever reasons but need some help to recover, Homeopathy is the solution for them. In addition to dealing with several other health issues, homeopathy serves as an alternative and a natural healing approach for depression as well.
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a natural therapy that deals with various health conditions gently and reliably by stimulating the natural healing power of an individual’s body. Rather than directly treating a medical condition or its symptoms, homeopathy kicks off the body’s natural process of healing and increases an individual’s strength so that natural resistance against a disease develops inside human body.
Despite severe criticism from the orthodox medical community, the field of homeopathy has been growing for hundreds of years because of its effectiveness in dealing with various health conditions and in improving a person’s overall health without causing any harm. Homeopathic medicines are generally made from different plants and minerals due to which they do not have any side effects and hence, they do not cause any damage to the human body even if taken for a long period of time.
What Causes Depression?
Depression is a mental condition that can be caused due to one or multiple reasons. Some major causes of depression are as follows:
- Changes in the production of ‘neuro- transmitters’ can cause depression
- Disruption in the production or functions of any of the brain chemicals could also be the cause of depression
- Genetics also play a role in causing this health problem
- It could occur due to other health issues, such as when a person suffers from a serious disease like cancer, heart disease or any other that affects his/her life, he/she may get depressed
- A difficult life event could act as a major contributing factor to depression. This could be because of financial issues, losing a loved one and even relationship issues.
How to Know If You Are Suffering From Depression?
Depression is a chronic disease that needs to be treated by a professional. While it is possible that you notice yourself experiencing symptoms that are commonly associated with depression at some point in your life, that does not necessarily mean that you are suffering from the disease. However, if you experience a combination of these symptoms for a long period of time, it is advised that you consult a doctor. Following are the major symptoms associated with depression:
- A persistent feeling of sadness, anxiousness or emptiness.
- Crying spells for no apparent reasons.
- Feeling pessimistic, hopeless, worthless or guilty.
- Feeling tired and fatigued.
- Over sleeping or insomnia.
- Loss of interest in activities that you used to enjoy.
- Lack of concentration.
- Having difficulty in remembering things and events.
- Weight gain or weight loss due to over eating or loss of appetite.
- Feeling angry, agitated, irritation and/or restless.
- Persistent headaches, digestive issues or other health problems that are not improving from normal treatment.
- At extreme level, depression may lead to developing suicidal thoughts or attempts.
Homeopathy for Depression
For all the aforementioned and several other reasons, homeopathy is a great approach to overcome various health conditions including depression and anxiety. Since most anti-depressants cause sedation and can cause various side effects like vomiting, nausea, headache, drowsiness, dry mouth or weight gain, people do hesitate in taking them. Homeopathic medicines, on the other hand, neither cause sedation nor cause any other side effect.
Although many people consider homeopathy as nothing more than causing a ‘placebo effect’, it is far from the truth. Homeopathy is an established field of medicine that has been practiced and developed for more than 2 centuries and uses highly powerful and naturally active substances in diluted form and in small dosages to initiate the body’s natural response to fight against the disease.
Various research studies and trials have also established the efficacy of homeopathic medicines in treating depression. A study published in ‘Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine’, an international journal, stated that homeopathic remedies that were prescribed after considering an individual’s condition and symptoms in detail proved to be as effective as the anti-depressant ‘Fluoxetine (Prozac)’ and with much less side effects than the anti-depressant drug.
Another study conducted at Duke University on patients suffering from major depression, panic disorder or social phobia showed that when such patients are treated with homeopathic medicines, 60 % of them showed a positive response.
There are several other studies available as well which proved that homeopathic medicines do not cause any side effects when used to overcome depression.
Homeopathic medicines, unlike most conventional drugs, do not suppress the symptoms that the human body shows in case of any health issue; rather, they initiate, support and boost the body’s natural defense system to overcome the root causes. Same is the case with treating depression. Rather than artificially increasing the effects of neuro-transmitters to reduce or eliminate symptoms of depression (this is what anti- depressants do), homeopathic medicines deal with the actual causes and initiate the body’s natural healing process to cure depression.
Tips for Dealing with Depression At Home
While it is really necessary that a person suffering from depression seeks professional help to prevent the disease from getting worse and to cure it, there are certain ways you can deal with depression at home too. These home remedies or tips are better to be used along with medicines to gain the maximum benefit.
Add ‘Happy’ Foods in your Diet
Serotonin is a chemical that is produced in our brain and contributes to our mood; it makes us feel happy. By increasing the level of serotonin in our body, we can ward off depression and this is what anti-depressants do. However, the level of serotonin can be raised naturally by adding certain foods in our regular diet. These include:
- Flaxseed Oil
- Fish Oil or fishes (that are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids)
- Sour cherries
- Healthy fats
- Foods that contain folic acid, such as avocado and spinach, may also help in easing depression.
Depression may cause sleeplessness which can worsen your condition. Therefore, you need to improve your sleeping habits by maintaining your routine and taking measures to get an adequate and a comfortable sleep. These may include:
- Take out all the things that may distract you out of the room, such as your computer or television
- Power off your cell phone when you go to bed
- Try not to take a nap during the day
- Sleep and wake up every day at the same time
- If you enjoy reading, light read before your sleeping time to relax your mind
Stay Physically Active
One of the proved benefits of regular exercise is that it aids in lowering the depression level and contributes to a positive mood. It also improves your self-esteem and causes the release of chemicals that are known as ‘endorphins’. Endorphins are chemicals that trigger positive feelings in our body and to reduce the perception of pain by interacting with receptors in the brain. Regular physical activity also improves sleeping patterns. All these benefits of staying physically active result in lowering depression.
In addition to the aforementioned tips, you can try meditation, yoga, doing activities that make you relax, reducing caffeine intake and drinking herbal or green tea to lower and manage your depression.
Success Stories of Depression Management with Homeopathy
A large number of people have been benefiting from homeopathic treatments for various illnesses and depression is no exception. There are many people who have overcome their depression through homeopathic medicines. Here, we are sharing two success stories to help people realize how beneficial homeopathy can be for treating depression without causing any side effects that are inevitable when taking anti- depressants.
- A patient, named Jeff, shared his story at Integrative Mental Health Center’s website. He said that he went to a homeopathic doctor after suffering and struggling with major depression for almost a year and after trying multiple allopathic doctors and numerous anti- depressants. He did not feel any improvement in his condition with conventional treatments and medicines and nothing could alleviate the feeling of hopelessness and sadness that he was experiencing. He lacked energy, used to cry a lot and felt de-motivated. When the symptoms got worse and started to overpower him, Jeff decided to give homeopathic a try.He started feeling better and his condition improved a lot within a week and a half of being treated with homeopathic medicines. He regained his energy and felt happy. Homeopathic medicines helped him to overcome depression and return to his normal life.
- A case study of a 40 year old man named Max also shows how homeopathy can help in effectively curing depression. Max had a tough childhood; he was not good in studies and used to get poor grades. Also, he felt that he had been unjustly punished by his father. Due to these factors, he started feeling that he was a useless person who could not do anything right. This thought got ingrained in his mind and stayed with him as he grew up. When Max consulted a homeopathic doctor, he was 40 and was working as a telephone cable repair supervisor since 12 years. He had been married but distant from his wife. He was really depressed and had a feeling of emptiness and self-doubt.He was first treated with ‘Aurum Metallicum’, a homeopathic medicine, but it did not show any significant improvement. Then, he was prescribed ‘Cadmium Sulphuricum’, which greatly improved his condition. Max was treated with homeopathic medicines for more than six months and his condition gradually improved. After six and a half months, he could not feel any signs of depression. The treatment was discontinued when Max felt perfectly fine without even the slightest signs of depression.
Consider Homeopathy for Overcoming Depression
The above mentioned case studies show how beneficial homeopathic medicines are in treating depression. There are many other case studies as well where patients have been successfully treated for severe depressive disorders. In addition to having serious side effects, when people take anti- depressants for a long period of time, they become dependent on these medicines and the symptoms may return if their use is discontinued. This happens because anti-depressants inhibit and suppress the symptoms and do not cure the root cause of the problem; hence, the problems recur and the symptoms re-appear once the use is discontinued.
However, this is not the case with homeopathy. As discussed earlier, homeopathic medicines deal with the actual cause of the problem so that the problem does not return, even after the discontinuation of medicines.
Dawn Bennett, CCH, RSHom (NA) is a certified homeopathic practitioner who is located in Mahtomedi Minnesota, USA. She has the ability to work with people globally over Skype as well. She provides reliable and professional services to people suffering with any health issue, both mental and physical. They specifically help people suffering from depression, migraines, anxiety, fibromyalgia, menstrual issues, and/or heartburn. Contact Dawn at Body Healing Power at 651-429-9777 for more details or to schedule an appointment to discuss your case. You will surely not go anywhere else once you consult her to overcome your health problems.